JEE Main Reservation: JEE Main is a national-level examination. Every candidate who wants to take admission in a top college across India to complete their graduation. They need to go through this test and crack it with good marks. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to crack this competitive examination.
Every year the JEE Main is held two times mostly in the month of February and April. It is conducted by the NTA ( National Test Agency).
The JEE Mains 2024 application period is expected to open in December 2023, and the exam will likely take place in the same month.
The JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2024 are the rules and guidelines for reserving seats for candidates belonging to different categories.
Mostly the group given below are most benefited from the JEE Main Reservation.
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Other Backward Classes (OBC-NCL)
- Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)
- Persons with Disabilities (PwD), and Women Candidates.
The JEE Main Reservation criteria are decided by the government of India and the participating university.
Table of Contents
|JEE Main Reservation: An Overview|
|JEE Main Reservation: Central Institutes|
|How do I Claim the JEE Main Reservation?|
|Documents Required for JEE Main Reservation|
|Step By Step Explanation: How does JEE Main Reservation work|
|JEE Main Reservation: Addressing Equality in Higher Education|
|Evolution of JEE Main Reservation: History|
|JEE Main Reservation: General Eligibility Criteria|
|JEE Main Reservation: FAQs|
JEE Main Reservation: An Overview
JEE Main is a highly competitive examination held every year for admission to the top colleges across India. Every year, thousands of candidates sit for this examination.
This exam is a gateway for admission into various undergraduate programs throughout India. It provides a one in all access to getting accepted into prestigious institutions like the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and the National Institutes of Technology (NITs). This is a national-level examination and a common entrance test held every year.
JEE Main Reservation is the allocation of seats to various categories based on various criteria. This approach aims to provide equal opportunities to candidates from socially and economically backward classes.
Here, there will be a thorough discussion about the JEE Main Reservation in detail.
JEE Main Reservation: Central Institutes
There are many institutions that participate in the JEE Main entrance procedure. But some of the popular central institutes that participate in the JEE Main examination are listed below.
- Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs)
- National Institutes of Technology (NITs)
- Other Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs) are a few of the central institutions that participate in JEE Main.
These institutions follows the reservation guidelines outlined in the Central List that was made public by the Indian government. The percentages of reservations according to the category for these institutes are as follows:
Some institutions additionally grant JEE Main Reservation for women, home state, and other state candidates in addition to these categories. For instance, in NITs, 50% of the seats are designated for home-state candidates (those who passed their qualifying exam from the same state as the NIT).
Also Read: JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
Also, the remaining 50% is designated for candidates from other states. Some NITs also have a supernumerary quota for female candidates to improve gender balance.
JEE Main Reservation: State Universities
The State Universities that take part in JEE Main adhere to the state-specific reservation guidelines. These standards may vary from one state and one institute to another.
For instance, some states might make exceptions for candidates from the local area, from the region, from linguistic or religious minorities, etc.
They are advised to check the official websites of the state universities for their specific reservation criteria.
How do I Claim the JEE Main Reservation?
To claim the JEE Main Reservation 2024, candidates need to follow these steps:
- Fill out the JEE Main application form and select their category as per their eligibility.
- Upload a scanned copy of their category certificate along with other documents in the prescribed format and size.
- Download the admit card and check the category details.
- During JEE Main counseling, submit their original category certificate along with other documents for verification.
- Candidates who fail to provide proof of their reservation claim will be placed under the general or unreserved category.
Also Read: JEE Main Exam Pattern
Documents Required for JEE Main Reservation
The types of documents needed for JEE Main Reservation vary depending on the applicant. All categories must submit the following documents:
- Class 10 certificate or birth certificate as proof of date of birth.
- Class 12 mark sheet or certificate as proof of qualifying exam.
- Aadhar Card or any other acceptable ID document.
- Passport size photograph and signature.
The specific documents required for different categories for JEE Main Reservation:
- SC/ST: A competent authority-issued caste certificate.
- OBC-NCL: Caste and non-creamy layer certificates issued by an appropriate body.
- EWS: A competent authority's income and asset certificate.
- PwD: Disability certificate issued by a medical board at a district hospital.
- Women: No separate document is required.
Also Read: JEE Main Admit Card
Candidates should keep these documents ready before applying for JEE Main Reservation and ensure that they are valid and updated. Candidates should check the official websites of NTA and JEE Main for any changes or updates in the JEE Main Reservation 2024 criteria or documents required.
Step By Step Explanation: How does JEE Main Reservation work
Here are the steps to understand how JEE Main Reservation works:
- JEE Main Reservation criteria are based on the categories of
GEN-EWS (General Economically Weaker Section), SC (Scheduled Caste), ST (Scheduled Tribe), OBC-NCL (Other Backward Classes), and Persons with Disabilities (PwD).
- The reservation percentage for each category is as follows: GEN-EWS- 10%, SC- 15%, ST- 7.5%, OBC-NCL- 27%, and PwD- 5% in each category.
- A seat through JEE Main is reserved for students who meet certain criteria, including having taken and passed the qualifying exam.
- NITs reserve 50% of seats for home-state candidates and another 50% for candidates from other states.
- In IIITs and CFTIs, the reservation of seats is based on the All India Quota. There is no home state or other state quota in these institutes.
- To claim the benefits of JEE Main Reservation, candidates must submit the required documents. It includes documents such as a category certificate, income certificate, disability certificate, etc., at the time of counseling.
Also Read: JEE Main Answer Key 2023
JEE Main Reservation: Addressing Equality in Higher Education
JEE Main Reservation is a policy that aims to promote equality and social justice in higher education. It does so by providing opportunities to candidates belonging to disadvantaged and marginalized groups. By reserving seats for candidates from categories, JEE Main Reservation seeks to reduce the gap between the privileged and underprivileged sections of society.
It also ensures the fair representation of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in the engineering fields.
The JEE Main Reservation also recognizes India's diversity and respects different communities' constitutional rights. JEE Main Reservation is not a charity or a favor, but a means of empowerment and inclusion for those who have faced historical oppression. JEE Main Reservation is a step towards creating a more equal and inclusive society where everyone can realize their potential and contribute to the nation’s development.
Evolution of JEE Main Reservation: History
Over the years, the JEE Main Reservation Policy has undergone a number of modifications to reflect the shifting socioeconomic conditions and aspirations of the nation.
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), which administers the All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE), first implemented the policy in 2006. At that time, 15%, 7.5%, and 27% of seats were reserved for members of the SC, ST, and OBC categories, respectively.
In 2013, AIEEE was renamed as JEE Main, and the exam was conducted by a Joint Apex Board (JAB) comprising representatives from CBSE and IITs. In 2019, the NTA took over the responsibility and introduced a new category as Generally Economical Weaker Section (GEN-EWS) with 10% of seats reserved for them.
JEE Main Reservation: General Eligibility Criteria
There are general criteria that every candidate needs to fulfill to be eligible for giving the JEE Main examination.
Below are some of the JEE main exam eligibility criteria
- Candidates must have obtained at least 75% of the total points in their XII board exam in order to sit for the JEE exam.
- All students should take Physics, Chemistry, and Math as required subjects for their 10+2 exams.
- Also, candidates need not worry about the age limit criteria, as there is no age limit for JEE Main Reservation.
- Every candidate must score 20 percentile in the 10+2 boards from any relevant stream.
- Students need to clear their JEE Mains with the specified criteria to be eligible for the JEE Advanced exam. However, JEE Main Reservation criteria students have separate rankings.
- Furthermore, everyone can appear for the mains exam for three consecutive years after clearing their boards.
For more details, the official website of NTA will provide candidates with the latest eligibility criteria. Also, students can verify the information regarding the JEE Mains and JEE Advanced eligibility requirements through the website.
JEE Main Reservation: FAQs
Q1. Who can avail themselves of JEE Main Reservation benefits?
Ans. Candidates who belong to the categories GEN-EWS, SC, ST, PwD, and OBC-NCL and have a valid certificate can avail of the benefits of JEE Main Reservation.
Q2. What is the difference between the home state and other-state quotas in NITs?
Ans. The home-state quota is for those candidates who have passed the 12th grade or equivalent exam in the same state where the NIT is located. Another state quota is for those candidates who have passed the 12th class or equivalent exam from any other state or union territory.
Q3. Is JEE Main reservation for PwD candidates available in the overall 5%?
Ans. No, the reservation for PwD candidates is 5% in each category, that is, GEN-EWS, SC, ST, and OBC-NCL.